GOING BIG TURBO?
- Greater WHP & WTQ
- Greater Turbo Reliability
What are the Cons?
- Greater Strain on drive-train components
- IE Clutch/Axles/Engine/Transmission
When considering a larger turbo swap you will need to consider and budget for mechanical failures. Such as the clutch, axles, internal transmission and engine components. This seems almost as a sensical train of thought but realistically we all are constantly looking for "faster" and we seem to shelf the "logical" side of things. Just consider this before pulling the pin to see if you truly are ready to push this car.
I have gathered a list of stock components (thanks Mike B.) that should be replaced when replacing the turbo whether it be a stock or large turbo swap.
FACTORY & ATP TURBO:
- FIAT 4823492AA OIL RETURN GASKET (1)
- FIAT 52022302AD EXHAUST MANIFOLD GASKET (1)
- FIAT 4893382AA FIAT EXHAUST GASKET
- FIAT 6510455AA MANIFOLD STUDS (9)
- FIAT 6506619AA MANIFOLD BOLTS (9)
- FIAT 4893305AA OIL RETURN BANJO BOLT (1)
- FIAT 4893438AA GASKET WASHER OIL RETURN (2)
- FIAT 68186474AA COOLANT BANJO (1)
- FIAT 68186475AA COOLANT BANJO WASHER (2)
ATP TURBO SWAP ONLY:
- 1" Dia X 3" Hose (Connects DV Valve Mount To Factory Diverter Valve)
- Modified Upper Coolant Supply Line (Needed to Extend Factory Line)
- Modified Oil return Line (Needs to be shortened)
- ATP Diverter Valve Adapter
We have this kit installed on our EC Abarth and it has been run with a Beta Phase 3 Map and Cam and puts out a considerable amount of power. We have successfully daily driven the car for over a year on the stock clutch. The clutch is definitely walking the fine line and will be ultimately replaced in the near future with most likely a FX250 Clutch Kit.
On top of all of this we recommend a solid intake, an upgraded FMIC and healthy spark plugs. A good idea would be an up-rated clutch kit to save you the surprise of a toasted stock unit in the future. So as you can see the costs do add up and you ultimately need to consider what type of duty the car is used for (track/DD) and ultimately if this is for you.