FIAT 500 ABARTH - EURO+DRIVE TUNING DYNO TESTING
With the addition of our new 2WD/AWD HLS Dyno in the shop, we decided to take the time to revert our 500 Abarth shop car back to various stages, in order to obtain accurate testing information for all tuning phases from the new dyno setup.
In the past, our primary testing method was using Auterra, a road dyno testing software that allows for controlled power/torque runs via wheel speed readings and other various data points. This allows the car to utilize real road air flow and wind speed without interruption from various safety systems on the car that otherwise may be triggered on a traditional 2WD dyno setup.
The transition to our HLS dyno setup would prove to show lower numbers than Auterra, and this was to be expected based on a number of variables. An HLS dyno (hydraulically linked system) controls both the front and rear rollers via a complex fluid pumping system using hydraulic oil, which allows for both sets of rollers to be synced with no margin of error. This allows for any car (either 2WD or AWD) to be tested exactly as it would drive on the road (less the air pressure and cooling effect at the front of the car), with no dash lights or interference from the traction control and stability control systems. This also matches the speeds of the front and rear wheels.
This technology also allows for complete control of testing at various rpm points, load stages, and throttle input. The vehicle can be held at any stage in the powerband, under any of the above conditions for as long as we allow, all while monitoring data and diagnostic information.
The goal was to use the same car, on the same dyno to re-test all of our tuning work thus far, and make any fine tuning adjustments as needed to the existing maps.
-MY2012 Fiat 500 Abarth (Manual Transmission)
MAP INFO (results shown below):
- STOCK map: 91 Octane gas, no other modifications
- 695 TF map: 91 Octane gas, no other modifications
- PHASE 0 map: 91 Octane gas, no other modifications
- PHASE 1 map: 91 Octane gas, V4 Intake System, Regapped NGK spark plugs to .024
- PHASE 2 map: (same as above), FMIC, Hi-Flow Cat, Forge Wastegate (yellow spring, 11psi crack pressure)
- PHASE 3 map: (same as above) 91 octane gas, EC Upgraded Turbo, 4C Coil Packs
- PHASE 4 map (in development): This map is designed for those that would like to run an upgraded turbo, but will not be utilizing only pump gas, and instead a properly adjusted water/meth system or E85 with larger injectors. Our testing/mapping will feature a full Supersprint exhaust system with a catless downpipe, and full conversion to E85.
All runs (stock - P3) were tested using standard 91 octane pump gasoline and in linked/locked 4-roller configurations.
All runs listed in WHP as well as BHP (engine horsepower). The loading feature on our HLS system allows for measurement of gear ratio on each run, and measured power dissipation during pre-run procedures, as well as post run coast down measurements. This data allows the dyno software to interpolate a parasitic loss from WHP, and graph estimated engine horsepower. The BHP data is based on this dissipation measurement for each of the raw WHP run data.